Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Pardo Family Turkey 2011: Uncle George carving the bird.
These pictures were just sent to me from my uncle back home where my family is currently enjoying their Thanksgiving feast in NY. My first Thanksgiving in the Netherlands is about to come to an end. It's strange to be so removed from this holiday. And even stranger that I had to go to work today! Despite being away from family and friends, Jaap made today very special for me. We enjoyed a romantic dinner for two at a delicious restaurant in our neighborhood, EetcafĂ© Ceramique and a nice skype session with family. (I also came home to some candlelight and flowers on the dining room table). The traditional Thanksgiving feast will commence with our friends in Maastricht on Saturday. I'm looking forward to it!

It's very hard to be so far from family and friends on my favorite holiday. I was feeling pretty down at certain parts of today. I was sad that I was so far from some of the most important people in my life. While working in my office today after school, I was listening to CNN online in an attempt to streamline the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Although my plan was unsuccessful, I did watch a segment of U.S. Troops in Kuwait broadcasting live to their families back home. It made me realize that I am lucky to live the life that I do. I am grateful for so many things. 

So for this Thanksgiving, I am thankful for my American & Dutch family and friends, my work, living an exciting life abroad, our health, and of course my love, Jaapie. Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night!

Photos courtesy of Uncle Angel Tirado: Jaap and I skyping with the Pardos in Queens, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment