Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Weekend Fun, Summertime

View of the Maas from the John F. Kennedy Bridge
Four more days until I'm officially on summer holiday! It's one of the greatest perks of being a teacher. :) I can't wait. In the meantime, we're getting into summer mode here in Maastricht. We've had some nice weather here the past few days. ("Nice" weather by Dutch standards, i.e. I don't have to wear a coat to work). I still have to get used to not having warm summers and weeks on end of sunshine. On the other hand, New York is practically a tropical climate these days. I can't say that I miss riding the subway in 100 degree heat. Ick.
We had possibly the most relaxing weekend we have had in a long time. Dinners on the balcony, a party with my colleagues, and drinks with friends at a terras. 
Friday evening was a quiet evening at home with dinner on the balcony, games, and good wine. Jaap and I have decided to break into our stash of German wines that we brought back with us from our vacation along the Mosel & Rhine. (See here). I've been saving the bottles for special occasions, but really...isn't the start of summer a good enough reason? It was the perfect way to end our week.
Delicious Riesling from the Mosel region
And the fun is just beginning. Jaap's birthday is this Wednesday, book club on Thursday, last day of school on Friday followed by our joint birthday celebration with friends at night, Saturday with the Jansens, North Sea Jazz on Sunday, and then my birthday on Monday. Whew! Quite a week, but all fun things. Shortly after that we'll leave for our vacation to Croatia followed by a visit from some of my Boston friends. YES for summer!!!
Fish tacos on the balcony. LEKKER!!!
Our little herb garden

No comments:

Post a Comment